Echuca Shire (1871-1909) was proclaimed on 26 May 1871, extending over a vast area of northern-central Victoria. It excluded the town of Echuca which had been made a municipal borough in 1865.
The shire's western boundary was Mount Hope Creek, about 40 km west of Echuca. Its eastern boundary was the Ovens River, 130 km east of Echuca. The northern boundary was the Murray River. The southern boundary was an irregular line formed by the limits of southern shires and it enclosed Rochester and Shepparton.