Warragul Shire and Rural City
The Shire of Warragul (1881-1990) was formed in 1881 when it was severed from the Shire of Buln Buln (1878). It covered an area of 136 sq km and centred on the town of Warragul, which is 102 km east of Melbourne. Most of the shire was prime farmland of undulating terrain, supporting dairy farming with some grazing and fruit growing. In 1906 part of Narracan shire was annexed and Warragul shire had an area of 352 sq km.