Carapooee is a rural locality 12 km south-east of St Arnaud in west central Victoria.
The locality is crossed by the Carapooee and Strathfillan Creeks. In 1844 the Strathfillan pastoral run was first taken up, and in 1857 the run came into the hands of David Peters. When gold was discovered there in 1858 the resulting settlement was known as Peter’s Diggings. During 1859-60 there was a population of 1300 miners.