Weering, now named Barpinba, was a rural locality in the Western District, 30 km north of Colac and east of Lake Corangamite.
The area is situated close to the fertile Warrion Hills and has been highly suitable for intensive agriculture and grazing. Settlement began in the early 1860s with a few subdivided farms, and a school was opened in 1867. A homestead (ruin) (1864) in Barpinba Road was built by a pioneer farmer Daniel Readie. On a grander scale there is Weering homestead (1864) in Porneet Road.