Bass Shire (1929-94) was south-east of Melbourne, facing the east side of Western Port Bay. Its area extended into Gippsland as far as Loch, Kongwak and Wonthaggi. Its coastal towns included Grantville, San Remo and Kilcunda.
The shire was proclaimed in 1871 as 'Phillip Island and Woolamai', with an area of 669 square kilometres. Phillip Island was severed in 1928 and the reduced shire was named Bass in 1929.