Ellerslie is a rural village in western Victoria, 32 km north-east of Warrnambool on the road to Mortlake.
In 1841 John Eddington took up the Ballangeich pastoral run (named after his birthplace) west of the Hopkins River. At the place where the track from Mortlake crossed the river a ford was laid down, and the locality was known as Lettsford.
During the early 1860s a bridge was constructed, and the Bridge Inn was opened. In 1865, at the suggestion of Eddington, the place was renamed Ellerslie, probably after the birthplace of the author and poet, Sir Walter Scott.