Hillside (near Bairnsdale)
Hillside is a rural locality in east Gippsland, 12 km west of Bairnsdale.
Much of the land at Hillside was found to be suitable for small farms which were begun during the late 1860s. During the next decade a hotel and a school (1876) were opened. The school and the district were named Murmurng. The Bairnsdale railway line was opened in 1887 and a timber siding - Quiggans Siding, named after the sawmiller - was provided. The names of both the district and the siding were changed to Hillside in 1889 when the estate of David Hill was subdivided for additional small farms.