Hotham was the name given to North Melbourne during the period 1855-87.
In April 1855, the Melbourne city council rearranged its wards, creating a separate ward for the township that had developed to the north-west. The ward was named Hotham, after Sir Charles Hotham, Governor of Victoria (1854-56).
The township was rapidly filled up by residents who were mostly gold rush immigrants. On 30 September 1859, it became the Borough of Hotham by severance from Melbourne city council. The area of the borough was a little over 500 acres (2 sq km).