Ironbark is a suburb of Bendigo, 2 km north-west of the city's centre. It was named after Ironbark Gully, the site of a rich alluvial gold digging that was fully occupied by miners by the middle of 1852. Ironbark was the name given to several species of Eucalypt with dark, deeply furrowed bark.
Together with Long Gully to its north, Ironbark was an intensively mined area. The Victoria Hill conservation area, west of the Loddon Valley Highway, is bare mined terrain; Hustlers reef (1853) gave rich yields.