Junortoun is a rural/residential locality on the McIvor Highway, about 8 km east of Bendigo.

The locality was originally named Homebush, after the Homebush Hotel (nearly opposite the site of the Farmers Arms Hotel at Junortoun) and after the Homebush Estate, a large holding owned by the Lazarus family. The wife of Samuel Lazarus was Mary Junor, and her surname probably inspired the place name.

Homebush primary school was opened in 1875, and it continued until 1958 apart from two short closures during the 1930s and 1940s.

Subscribe to Junortoun