Boisdale is situated on the Avon River 10 km north of Maffra and about 212 km east of Melbourne. The Boisdale run, taken up for Lachlan Macalister in 1842, stretched from the Avon River west to the Macalister River. It is thought to be named after a village in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland. In 1850, the lease was secured by John Foster, one of many runs he held in Gippsland. In 1861 he still controlled about 6000 acres at Boisdale.