Bonegilla is a rural locality on the western shore of Lake Hume in north-eastern Victoria. The nearest large township is Wodonga, 12 km to the west. Much of the Parish of Bonegilla lies beneath the waters of Lake Hume (1936).
In 1835 Charles Ebden took up the Bonegilla pastoral run. The name is thought to be derived from an Aboriginal word meaning deep water hole or big cattle camp. (The locality of Ebden is south-east of Bonegilla.)
A primary school was opened in Bonegilla in 1876 and by 1910 it also had two hotels and a railway connection (1889) to Wodonga.