Corryong, a rural town in north-east Victoria, is 15 km from the Murray River and about twice that distance from the boundary of the Kosciusko National Park. It is on the Murray Valley Highway and is the main town in the Victorian part of the Upper Murray district. Albury and Wodonga are 90 km to the west.
Corryong was named after the Kuriong pastoral run, taken up in 1839 by a pastoralist from New South Wales. It is thought that the name was derived from Aboriginal expressions referring to red body painting clay or a possum skin garment.