Templestowe Lower is a residential suburb between Bulleen and Templestowe, 15 km north-east of central Melbourne. It extends southwards from the Yarra River to Manningham Road.
Templestowe village (1852) was situated west of Ruffey Creek between Finns Reserve and Foote Street. The district's hotel, Finns Upper Yarra, was also west of the creek, in Templestowe Lower. The locality preserved a rural serenity until the 1960s, as it was remote from public transport. The Templestowe primary school sufficed until the mid-1960s, when a spate of school building occurred: there were two State primary schools opened in Templestowe Lower during 1966-70. A high school and a technical school were opened in 1961 and 1971.
Templestowe Lower is a suburb settled in the era of the motor car and has a single neighbourhood shopping centre on Manningham Road. More elaborate shopping facilities are a few kilometres southwards at Westfield Shoppingtown, Doncaster. There are Anglican and Baptist churches and a Catholic church and school. In addition to a few neighbourhood parks there is linear parkland along the Yarra River that leads to Birrarung Park which includes a billabong.
Public transport is by bus. There is a large bus interchange at Doncaster Shoppingtown and several services run along Thompsons, Manningham and Williamsons Roads.
Templestowe Lower's census populations have been:
At the 2011 census, the median age of residents was 44 years, compared with 37 for Australia.
Graham Keogh, The history of Doncaster and Templestowe, City of Doncaster and Templestowe, 1975