Traralgon East is an industrial and residential suburb of Traralgon, Gippsland, 160 km east of Melbourne. Its present boundary is the Traralgon-Maffra Road and the Nairn Road, but in the 1960s the boundary was further west.
In 1958 the Traralgon saleyard was moved to Traralgon East, a move denoting the area’s destiny for industrial development. Two years later the Traralgon East primary school was opened in Shakespeare Street, but this was in the earlier boundary of the suburb. The school is now west of the boundary, as is the east campus of Traralgon Secondary College which adjoins it. The college was originally Traralgon High (1955).
The saleyards are on the north side of the Princes Highway and railway line. On the south side there are the Latrobe Valley racecourse, the Traralgon greyhound track and recent houses.
Traralgon East’s census populations have been:
The census area includes the modern suburb and a rural adjunct extending to the Latrobe River on the north and Flynns Creek on the east.