Between 1886 and 1945 Tunstall was the name of the present-day Nunawading township, 18 km east of central Melbourne. The name was derived from Tunstall, England, famed for its potteries: Nunawading had several brickworks and makers of clay products.
The township, at the south-west corner of Springvale and Whitehorse Roads, was close to the Tunstall railway station (1886), on the Camberwell to Lilydale line which was opened in 1882. For most of its life Tunstall was a small town in a mostly rural landscape with orchards and brick-making.
Tunstall was described in the Victorian municipal directory in 1933:
The town had a wood-turning works and the offices (1925-45) of the Blackburn and Mitcham shire. Tunstall's census populations were:
In 1933 Blackburn's population was 2616 and Mitcham's was 2097.