Boho and Boho South
The Boho district is in a farming and forest area south of Violet Town and about 130 km north-east of Melbourne.
Boho is on the north side of a State Forest range and is 8 km from Violet Town. On the other side of the range and 12 km from Boho is Boho South. The name is from a locality near Enniskillen, Fermanagh County, Ireland.
Boho's farming settlement began in the 1870s as selectors took up lands from former pastoral runs. Farming was supplemented by timber production from the trees in the granite foothills. Some apple orchards were in production in the 1890s, but they coincided with a worsening rabbit influx.
There were primary schools at Boho (1874-1951), Boho East (1887-94) and Boho South (1892-closed). The forested area was a fertile rabbit-breeding ground and their depredations resulted in selections being amalgamated during the 1890s and the following decade. Grazing for meat and wool replaced orchards and dairying.
Boho on Two Mile Creek shows little evidence of any former village. School Road and Saw Pit Gully Road provide clues to Boho's former activity. Boho South on the headwaters of Seven Creeks has a hall, fire station and a tennis club.
Boho and Boho South had census populations of:
|Boho and Boho South||1911||205|
Don Chambers, Violet Town or Honeysuckle in Australia Felix, Melbourne University Press, 1985