The Shire of Alberton (1864-1994) was proclaimed in 1864. In 1894, the western portion was severed to form the Shire of South Gippsland. Located in South Gippsland, the former shire stretched from the ridge of the Strzelecki Ranges in the north to Corner Inlet on the coast in the south. Its area was 1869 square km. From 1896 the administrative centre was Yarram, 225 km south-east of Melbourne. The South Gippsland Highway travelled the length of the shire.