Maidstone, between Maribyrnong and Footscray and bordered on its west by Braybrook, is 8 km north-west of central Melbourne. It is a residential and industrial suburb.
The Maidstone town survey was made in about 1858, and was situated on the south side of the Ballarat Road and east of Ashley Street. A non-vested National School was opened in 1858. The place’s proximity to Footscray appears to have inspired its name, as Maidstone and Footscray are close to each other in Kent, England.