Clayton South is a residential and industrial suburb 20 km south-east of central Melbourne.
It is situated in Melbourne’s sand belt country and has two large landfill sites resulting from sand extraction. The area was also used for market gardening, although there was a considerable amount of swampy or unimproved land when the Forest Hill Golf Club acquired an area for its Spring Valley golf course in 1948. The golf course is one of several in the sand belt country, extending from Huntingdale to Dingley Village.
Clayton South is south of Centre Road, which is crossed at 45 degrees by the railway line that has Clayton and Westall railway stations. Residential settlement and industrial growth began during the late 1950s. Notable developments were the Volkswagen assembly plant adjoining the Westall railway station, and cable-making and bakery establishments. The Clayton South primary school had been opened in 1929 for the farming community, but the postwar residential growth required the opening of Westall primary and high schools in 1961 and 1963.
Immediately west of Clayton South is Clarinda. During 1960s to 1980s it was regarded as a locality of Clayton South, but in the late 1990s it emerged as a separate suburb. Clayton South thus sits between Springs and Westall Roads. In any event Clarinda’s shopping centre serves much of Clayton South. Other shopping areas for Clayton South’s residents are at Clayton, Springvale and a small neighbourhood group of shops at Westall.
Clayton South has two recreation reserves and two nature reserves next to the Spring Valley golf course. The Volkswagen assembly plant was subsequently used by Nissan, and more recently has been renamed Clayton business park.
Clayton South’s census populations have been:
At the 2011 census religious affiliations included:
|Religious affiliation||% of total population|
The Greek Orthodox independent church and community centre are in Bevan Avenue.
Mary Keeley, A journey into yesterday: a history of Clayton, 1980