Croydon North is a residential area 27 km east of central Melbourne. It contained the smaller area of Croydon Hills until it underwent residential subdivision during the 1980s and early 1990s. In the early days of subdivision Luther College was established in the area that is now Croydon Hills.
At the extreme east of Croydon North, on Maroondah Highway, is Brushy Park reserve, a reminder of the district's first point of settlement when the Brushy Creek cattle run (1840s) and Cobb and Co coach stopping place (1870s) existed. It was the Croydon area's first village settlement (1860) with the Brushy Creek hotel (1855) and the Black Springs hotel (1865). The Brushy Creek school, immediately west of the present hall, opened in 1878. There were public halls nearby in Exeter Road and Maroondah Highway in the 1920s and the post office remains fixed at that approximate location.
In the north-west of Croydon North where it became more profitable to grow produce that could be transported by rail from Croydon, the pressure of population lead to the opening of the Yarra Road primary school in 1924. Thereafter, until urban growth began in the early 1980s, Croydon North's hills were covered with farms and orchards. The hills, eg Birts Hill and Black Springs Hill, provided appealing home sites.
In 1949 Lillydale Shire acquired rundown farmland north of Maroondah Highway, keeping it aside for public open space, now Warrien Reserve. That was about thirty years before Croydon North came under housing estates.
Croydon North has its nearest shops on its eastern boundary and nearest State school on its western boundary. In addition to Warrien Reserve there is another flora reserve, Hochkins Ridge, in the north, and several neighbourhood parks.
Croydon North's census populations have been:
Muriel McGivern, A history of Croydon: a second volume, 1967
Croydon Hills entry