Invermay and Invermay Park
Invermay is a rural/residential area on the north-eastern outskirt of Ballarat, about 5 km from the city centre, and immediately north of the Western Freeway.
The district was originally known as Dead Horse Gully. When farming overtook mining, it was named Invermay in 1873, after a farm of that name owned by the Swingler family. The early village comprised a school (1866) and a Wesleyan church (1892).
Invermay was exclusively rural until the early 1970s, when additional settlement occurred. A progress association converted the old school building to a public hall (1964), which lasted until 1987 when a modern structure was built. The Uniting church occupies a former Methodist church (1892). A recreation reserve and the Invermay bowls club are near the hall. The growth in rural/residential living resulted in the school having 42 pupils in 1998 and 54 in 2014.
Invermay’s census populations have been:
|Invermay and environs||2006||722|
Invermay Park is immediately south of the Western Freeway and was gazetted as a place name in 1998.
Before 1994 it was part of Bungaree Shire and was known as an outlying part of Ballarat North. It was chosen for the site of Ballarat's second cemetery in 1867, and for the North Ballarat (now Midland) Golf Club in 1919.
Invermay Park's census populations have been:
Pamela Toom and Dianne Campbell, From Dead Horse to dancin’: the history of Invermay & district 1847-1997, Back to Invermay Organising Committee Inc, 1998