Newington is a residential suburb immediately west of Ballarat central and south of Lake Wendouree. It was gazetted as a place name in 1998.
The western half of Newington is open space: Victoria Park, an area of 130 hectares, was first planted with ornamental trees on Arbor Day, 1890. It includes several ovals, mown grasslands, pine plantations and patches of remnant indigenous vegetation.
In 1903 Newington was described in the Australian handbook:
Newington's northern boundary is the old Western Highway (Sturt Street). Two of its prestigious addresses in Sturt Street are the Uniting (formerly Presbyterian) church's Clarendon College (1864) and the Catholic St Patrick's College (1893). Both colleges take boarders. St Patrick's is boys only. Clarendon is coeducational and has a high academic ranking.
The Urquhart Park State primary school (374 pupils, 2014) dates from an earlier building (1878) at the corner of Urquhart and Windermere Streets about 1 km east of the present school.
Newington's census populations have been: