Newington is a residential suburb immediately west of Ballarat central and south of Lake Wendouree. It was gazetted as a place name in 1998.
The western half of Newington is open space: Victoria Park, an area of 130 hectares, was first planted with ornamental trees on Arbor Day, 1890. It includes several ovals, mown grasslands, pine plantations and patches of remnant indigenous vegetation.
In 1903 Newington was described in the Australian handbook: