Quarry Hill is a residential suburb about 1 km south of the Bendigo railway station. The name came from a building stone quarry in the vicinity. The hole was later filled, and its precise location is not known.
The area was first known as Charcoal Gully, where an Anglican school was opened in 1857. In 1873 it was replaced with a State school known as Sandhurst East, a name which lasted until 1908 when it was named Quarry Hill.
The locality is generally hilly and hardly disfigured by mine or quarry workings. In fact, the hills serve as a visual backdrop to several fine Victorian and Edwardian houses, the most notable of which is The Eyrie (1874) at 18 Reginald Street. A short distance to the south is the Bendigo Cemetery (1858). Both The Eyrie and the cemetery are on the Victorian Heritage Register, including the cemetery's chapel and funerary oven.
Another house is Edelweiss in Hamlet Street. It was built in 1890 for Sir John Quick, constitutional lawyer and Bendigo parliamentarian. In retirement Quick served on the committees of the Bendigo art gallery and mechanics' institute, wrote pioneering bibliographical studies and was instrumental in founding the Quarry Hill golf club. In this case the golf course site was disfigured by mine tailings and rubble.
Quarry Hill has a golf course, a Catholic church and primary school (1907), a State primary school (moved from Olinda Street to Peel Street in 1910) and the Queens Arms hotel (1872). The State primary school had 330 pupils in 2014.
Wolstencroft Park, a former tip site, was identified in 2008 to be converted into a park but soil contamination and funding delayed the process. In 2014 the golf club committee criticised suggestions from Bendigo council planners that the course be developed as a housing estate.
Quarry Hills' census populations have been:
Mike Butcher and Gill Flanders, Bendigo historic buildings, Bendigo, 1987