Quarry Hill is a residential suburb about 1 km south of the Bendigo railway station. The name came from a building stone quarry in the vicinity. The hole was later filled, and its precise location is not known.
The area was first known as Charcoal Gully, where an Anglican school was opened in 1857. In 1873 it was replaced with a State school known as Sandhurst East, a name which lasted until 1908 when it was named Quarry Hill.