Springmount is a rural locality 4 km east of Creswick. The origin of the name is uncertain. There is a Springmount Hill (668 m) about 1 km northwards.
Springmount school was opened in 1875. The area was recorded as being a farming and mining one shortly after the turn of the century, with a post office, church and hotel. The church was probably the small Methodist weatherboard structure (c1870) with a front porch, which was used as a Uniting church in the 1990s. The school closed in 1960.
Springmount has several timber cottages typical of Creswick district, 1860-1900. Its census populations have been:
|Springmount and environs||2006||335|
Lester Tropman and Associates, Creswick Shire heritage study, Creswick Shire, 1990