Tarranyurk is a rural locality on the road and railway line between Dimboola and Jeparit in the Mallee region, north-west Victoria. It is 8 km south of Jeparit, and nearly directly west of Warracknabeal. The Wimmera River is about 2 km westwards. It is thought that Tarranyurk was named after an Aboriginal word describing a wooden container or dish.
Farm settlement in the 1880s resulted in the opening of a school at Antwerp, south of Tarranyurk, in 1889. Two years later schools were opened at Tarranyurk North and South. Settlement increased when the railway extension from Dimboola was opened in 1894, and the Antwerp school was moved to near Tarranyurk railway station in 1903. There was also a store until the 1960s, and the school closed in the early 1980s. There are now grain silos and a CFA station. The decline in population and amalgamation of farms (mainly wheat-sheep) has mirrored the trend around Jeparit.
Tarranyurk's census populations have been: