Leongatha, a rural town, is 115 km south-east of Melbourne. It is on the South Gippsland Highway in the southern Strzelecki Ranges.
The Leongatha district was among the last parts of South Gippsland to be settled. Settlement progressed along the coastline, along the highway through Drouin and Morwell and then south from Morwell towards Mirboo North. A railway from Morwell to Mirboo North was opened in 1886, one year before even a post office opened in the Leongatha area.