Cardigan and Cardigan Village
Cardigan and Cardigan Village are on the Western Highway, 11 km and 14 km respectively north-west of Ballarat.
Cardigan was named after Lord Cardigan, Commander of the Light Brigade in the Crimean War. Situated in an agricultural district, Cardigan at various times had a school (1860), a hotel and a Presbyterian church. It was described in the 1903 Australian handbook: