The Shire of Traralgon (1879-1994) was constituted in 1879, the area previously being part of the Shire of Rosedale. In 1892, the western part of Traralgon Shire was severed to form Morwell Shire. The shire covered an area of 468 squ km and was centred on Traralgon, 160 km east of Melbourne. It stretched from the Latrobe River in the north to the ridge of the Strzelecki Ranges in the south. The southern part was hilly and heavily forested, while the rest of the shire was relatively flat and lightly timbered. Dairying and grazing were the main agricultural pursuits.