Narracan Shire (1878-1994) was proclaimed in 1878. Annexations and severances have caused many changes to its boundaries over the years. Walhalla shire was added in 1918 and part of the Yallourn works area in 1973. In 1955, the largest town, Moe, was severed to form the borough of Moe, leaving Narracan shire with 2300 sq km. It is thought that the name derived from an Aboriginal word describing a crow.