Eaglehawk is a residential suburb in the north-west of urban Bendigo. Its town centre is 5 km from the centre of Bendigo.
Gold was discovered at Bendigo in October 1851 and the gold-bearing land extended several kilometres north and north-west of Bendigo, beyond Eaglehawk. California Gully and Sailors Gully recorded gold finds in the first half of 1852, along with Eaglehawk.
In 1854 town lots were surveyed and sold along High Street, Eaglehawk, where it divides into Sailors Gully and Pegleg Gully Roads (ie Pyramid Hill Road and Loddon Valley Highway).