Warranwood, a residential suburb of the 1990s, is 25 km east of central Melbourne. Warrandyte is to its north and Ringwood is to its south. Known for some time as Croydon Heights, the area was named in 1948 by combining the first and last parts of its neighbours' names.
Warranwood is an elevated suburb; Andersons and Jumping Creeks' headwaters are in Warranwood and run northwards to the Yarra River at Warrandyte. The land was not particularly good for orchards and was used for grazing or left as woodland. It was at the north-west corner of Lillydale Shire, then Croydon Shire and remains the same for Maroondah City.
Families had a choice of primary schools, Warrandyte South, Hall Road, near the Warrandyte South hall or Warranwood in Warranwood Road near Trevor Court. In 1940 a general store was opened near the corner of Warranwood and Brysons Roads. It was replaced in 1946 by another, near the present store in Warranwood Road. When Warranwood was still mostly bushland, members of the Anthroposophical movement acquired land in Wonga Road for the Melbourne Rudolf Steiner School (1972). It has grown to a P-12 campus with an eclectic group of buildings for classrooms, hall and kindergarten. In the early 1990s housing subdivisions quickened. The Warrandyte South school was replaced by a new Warranwood State school in 1995 (the former Warranwood school had closed in the 1970s). It had 443 pupils in 2014.
Warranwood has several neighbourhood reserves, neighbourhood shops at three locations, two kindergartens and a large Anglican church (1998) serving Ringwood North, Croydon Hills and Warranwood.
Warranwood's census populations have been:
Muriel McGivern, A history of Croydon: a second volume, 1967