Warrenbayne is a rural locality 18 km south-west of Benalla. Its name is believed to have been formed from Messrs Warren and Bayne, pastoral settlers who occupied a station between Violet Town and Lima, coinciding with the location of the present locality.
Warrenbayne has extensive forested hills to its east and south, which include the Warrenbayne Pine Plantation. The Warrenbayne Creek, between the village and the hills, has fertile flat country which has been used for dairying, potatoes and fruit growing.
Closer settlement occurred during the 1870s and a private school was opened in 1875, soon becoming the government school. Another school functioned intermittently between 1886 and 1955 at Warrenbayne West. Warrenbayne's rural economy depended on sawmilling, dairying and pastoral activity. A mechanics' institute was opened. The Australian handbook, 1903, described Warrenbayne (or Warrenbane):
There was a butter factory (1892-1910). Electricity was switched on in 1954.
Warrenbayne has a hall and tennis courts. The school closed in 2008.
Warrenbayne's census populations have been:
Patricia Nottle, Warrenbayne: the place and its people, Mt Waverley, 1998