Maiden Gully is a rural/residential township and district on the Calder Highway 7 km west of Bendigo. It was the site of a gold discovery in 1859, and was associated with nearby Myers Flat. The primary school was named Myers Creek from its opening in 1875 until 1938, when it was renamed Maiden Gully.
The origin of Maiden Gully’s name is unclear. The actual gully is in a forested area 1 km north of the township.
For its first 63 years the Myers Creek school intermittently opened and closed, indicating the small population of the district. After re-opening in 1938, with its present name, the school has functioned continuously, and had over 190 pupils in 1998, 418 in 2006 and 494 in 2014.
Maiden Gully has a caravan park, the Balgownie Vineyard (1969), a hall, a recreation reserve with cricket and tennis clubs, the Eaglehawk golf course and a general store and post office.
Plans were made in 2014 to subdivide a site on Edwards Road for housing development and the land was rezoned from farming to residential. Plans were considered for a Maiden Gully Railway Station.
Maiden Gully’s census populations have been:
Ken Arnold, Bendigo its environs: the way it was, Bendigo, 2003